"Aren't we weird human beings?" read my text message, "Us and our 'celebrity' crushes on people who are just regular humans like us." It was the second time, in a single day, that my friends and I were gushing over people who inspire us. Coincidentally, I had challenged myself earlier in the day to reach out to people who had really affected my creative life, i.e. those exact same people I had been gushing over.
It's because of these two inner and external conversations that I'm starting a weekly-ish post where I feature people who inspire me every day. First up, Elise of elisejoy.com
I was "introduced" to Elise when I went looking for a blog design class in January of 2012, before Approaching Joy was even born. Lucky for me, she was just about to begin a class and even though my roommates at the time told me that grad school was "not the best time to start learning HTML / Photoshop / a brand new blogging platform", I happily ignored them.
Since then, I've watched her document her story, start a family, and grow her business via her blog. More than anything, I am impressed by her ability to combine her natural design / creativity with focused goal setting and making it happen via her casual yet direct business style.
Elise was lovely enough to answer the following questions for me.
- Who are you now?
- I am a mama, wife, business owner & blogger.
- Who were you then?
- I was a single, college student, business major & blogger with big dreams.
- Who are you in the future?
- I will be a mama, wife, business owner, blogger, speaker and author.
- What is the mistake you're most grateful for?
- I am so grateful that I bombed every single interview my senior year of college and I had no choice but to take the "non-traditional" career path.
- Who inspires you?
- I am inspired by the movers and shakers. The people who stay true to themselves. The people who say the things that I wish I had the guts to say. The people who never write anything anonymously. The people who ask questions and really listen to the answers. I am inspired by the folks that take THE most gorgeous photos with their iPhones.